15 Things Not To Do During a Divorce
Please consider the impact the following behaviors can have on your divorce proceedings. As your legal counsel, we can only help you if you are willing to help yourself and as civil and honest as possible.
- Do not destroy records including emails and other electronic information.
- Do not clear out bank accounts or investment accounts.
- Do not take loans against your retirement accounts.
- Do not hide assets.
- Do not cancel health insurance, change designations of beneficiaries or run up debt.
- Do not lose your cool and make threats to your spouse.
- Do not hire the meanest lawyer in town.
- Do not represent yourself.
- Do not lie to your lawyer.
- Do not lie to your Judge.
- Do not engage your children in the divorce.
- Do not hack into your spouse’s email accounts.
- Do not read your spouse’s communication with their lawyer and if you do, do not send it to your lawyer.
- Do not hide or dispose of your spouse’s property.
- Do not go on a gambling spree, in an effort to dispose of money.